Barwon Disability Advocacy Network
The VLAF DisabilityCare Working Group
Terms of Reference
This working group will take the lead on a number of issues in the legal sector, including the NDIS trial, that need a focussed and joint approach from VLAF.
- Develop a tool to collect data on demand for legal services for advocacy and review
- Approach the Commonwealth Government for increased resources for the legal sector during the trial
- Hold a workshop on effective advocacy and the NDIS
- Evaluate advocacy and review in the Barwon trial
This working group meets in Geelong and for its regional focus it is know as the Barwon Disability Advocacy Network.
The working group wishes to promote an understanding of the operation of the NDIS within the Barwon region and thereby providing necessary information to potential clients, carers and supporters on how to access NDIS and obtain advocacy. Additionally, it is anticipated that the working group would provide information to carers, workers and supporters, as well as valuable links to those who can provide information and support on how to navigate the NDIS. It would also set up a system to collect information about the introduction of the trial, keep government agencies informed on the demand for legal services because of the introduction of the trial and provide an evaluation of the trial to VLAF.
Hopefully, this in turn will lead to better outcomes for persons affected by disability and ensure that those in need of Disability Care’s support and assistance obtain this support and assistance at an early stage.
It is also anticipated that greater knowledge will lead to greater scrutiny of decision makers.
Victoria Legal Aid
Working Group Member Organisations
- Victoria Legal Aid
- Fitzroy Legal Service
- Barwon Community Legal Centre
- Barwon Disability Resource Council
- Regional information and Advocacy Council
- The Federation of Community Legal Centres
- Disability Discrimination Legal Service
- Centre for Rural Regional Law and Justice, Deakin University
- Youth Disability Advisory Service
- Association for Children with a Disability
- Communication Rights Australia
Getting Support with the NDIS
One of the initial goals of BDAN was to develop a resource for people in the Barwon region seeking information on the NDIS. BDAN has developed a brochure that will be available in early December, outlining what people may be entitled to under the NDIS and where they can get further advice.
BDAN Conference: NDIS and Advocacy
Over a year since the rollout of the NDIS in the Barwon region, BDAN will hold a conference on the NDIS and Advoacy in December 2014. Registrations are now closed but you can add your name to a waiting list. Resources from the conference will be avaiable online after it has been held.